About us
Mission Statement
Storm Outages JCP&L
Parking Rules
Street Lights
Chief of Police
Detective Bureau
Borough Park Rules
Message Board
Pet Licences
Internal Affairs
Homeland Security
Scam and do not call information (FTC)
Snow Removal Sidewalks and vehicles
Good Morning Application
Drug Testing Policy
Immigration Law Enforcement

FAQ  1. How can I report a street lamp out?Street lamp outages can be reported directly to the power company at this site: https://www.firstenergycorp.com/forms/streetlight/reportStreetLightProbInit.do You will need the nearest house address, cross street, and pole number.  Use this site for street lamps only; please report traffic light outages to the Stanhope Police at 973-347-4533. 

 2. Are there any positions available in the department?Stanhope is a Civil Service municipality. This means that the majority of the hiring (including for the position of Police Officer) begins with the New Jersey Civil Service Commission. To be considered for a civil service position one must pass an exam specific to the position being sought and be placed on a list.  To apply to take the civil service test for Entry Level Law Enforcement please visit the Civil Service Commission site at: http://www.state.nj.us/csc/. Positions that require no test will be advertised in the local newspaper as they become available.  

3. What should I do to prepare if I am going away on vacation?Come to the Stanhope Police Station at 77 Main Street and notify us of your intended vacation. We will need your name, address, phone number, leave date, return date, emergency contact information, key holder contact information, description of vehicles left at residence, and location of lights on timers.                  Also, please consider these safety preparations:· Cancel mail or have neighbor collect same· Cancel newspaper or have neighbor collect same· Arrange for lawn maintenance and/or snow removal for extended leaves· Arrange with neighbor to monitor and collect unexpected deliveries such as phone books, free newspapers, packages, etc.· Arrange with neighbor to remove obvious signs of vacancy such as tree limbs across driveway.  

4. What can I do about identity theft?If you believe there has been a disclosure of your personal identity information you should immediately; call the credit companies (800-860-7289, 800-525-6285, 800-397-3742) and place a fraud alert on your credit, contact your credit card companies, contact your banks, and closely monitor all of your credit information. If you have been a victim of identity theft notify the Stanhope Police at 973-347-4533 and file a report. In addition to the above paragraph go to the Federal Trade Commission web site at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/ to file a complaint and obtain an information package.  

5. How can I pay a ticket?If ‘court appearance required’ is not checked on the summons and you wish to plead guilty to the offense you may:· Stop at the Court Administrators office at 77 Main Street between 9 AM and 4 PM to make payment.· Complete the back of the summons as per the instructions on the summons and mail the summons/payment to Stanhope Municipal Court prior to the court date indicated on the front of the summons.· Make the payment by credit card at http://njcourts.judiciary.state.nj.us/njmcdirect/atswepr2/home.do.  

6. How do I plead not guilty to a ticket?You must notify the Stanhope Court Administrator at 973-347-4181.Many summonses require that the not guilty plea be in writing.If ‘court appearance required’ is checked on the summons you are required to attend court on the date and time specified to enter you plea unless you are authorized by Stanhope Municipal Court not to appear.If you appear in court without first notifying Stanhope Municipal Court of a not guilty plea your case will not be heard at that time and you will be scheduled for a future appearance.  

7. What are the office hours of the records?Records is open from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday.  

8. Can I park my car on the street?Vehicles can not be parked on any street from November 1st through April 1st between the hours of 4 AM and 6 AM or at any time when road crews are removing snow from the roadways.  

9. How do I obtain a criminal history background check?Criminal history checks for employment, Visa’s, Immigration, etc. are conducted through the New Jersey State Police. Instructions and forms for obtaining a background check may be found at: http://www.njsp.org/about/serv_chrc.html.  

10. Landlord and Tennant questions.Situations regarding rent, evictions, and not following rules are Civil matters and are handled by the Superior Court of the county. A general guide to provide many answers may be found at:For Landlords:       http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10289_info_landlords.pdfFor Tenants:     http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10288_info_tenants.pdf